Problems with Ubuntu native ZFS root rilesystem instructions
Frank Tarczynski
2015-02-21 22:22:59 UTC
I'm trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.1 with a native ZFS root pool.
I'm following the instructions at:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

I've run into problems at step 6.3 (Update the boot configuration file):
update-grub complains about not being able to find the rpool at
/dev/scsi-....., not a /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-.... I fixed that by
sym-linking the rpool rntry into /dev.

The instructions also say to verify that "boot=zfs" shows in
/etc/grub/grub.cfg. I don't see "boot=zfs" there but I do see:

menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os
$menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-2a6ad2e796c75c97' {
recordfail
load_video
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_gpt
insmod zfs
set root='hd0,gpt2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2
--hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2 2a6ad2e796c75c97
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 2a6ad2e796c75c97
fi
linux /ROOT/scout@/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/scout ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
initrd /ROOT/scout@/boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic

The "root=ZFS=rpool..." stuff comes from /etc/grub.d/10_linux from the
Ubuntu install.

If I ignore this error and finish the install I get this error when I try
to boot:

mount: mounting ZFS=rpool/ROOT/scout on /root failed: No such file or
directory
mount: mouting /dev or /root/dev failed: No such file or directory

If I add the "boot=zfs" to the grub entry during booting I get this error
when I boot:
Command: zpool import -f -N rpool
Message: cannot import 'rpool/: no such pool available
Error: 1
Manually import the root pool at the command prompt and then exit.
Hint: Try: zpool import -f -R / -N rpool

I can import the rpool then but then I see:

[ 272.264236] mei_me 000:00:16.0: initialization failed.

Any one have any ideas on how to fix this?

Frank

Fajar A. Nugraha
2015-02-22 07:30:04 UTC
Post by Frank Tarczynski
I'm trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.1 with a native ZFS root pool.
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem
Short version: redo your install from scratch, and follow
https://github.com/fajarnugraha/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem
Post by Frank Tarczynski
update-grub complains about not being able to find the rpool at
/dev/scsi-....., not a /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-.... I fixed that by
sym-linking the rpool rntry into /dev.
... or create a custom udev rule, so that it wouldn't error-out every
time update-grub is invoked (e.g. when you update the kernel)
Post by Frank Tarczynski
The instructions also say to verify that "boot=zfs" shows in
No BUTs. If it's not there, it won't work.

Part of the reason it's NOT there is that the howto was originally
written for older ubuntu version (12.04), for which there's a grub ppa
which will add those entry. You're using it on 14.04, which doesn't
have the custom grub, thus it doesn't work. There's a workaround
though, like adding it to /etc/default/grub.
Post by Frank Tarczynski
If I add the "boot=zfs" to the grub entry during booting I get this error
Command: zpool import -f -N rpool
Message: cannot import 'rpool/: no such pool available
Hmmm... not sure about that one. Perhaps add "rpool=rpool" to the boot
entry as well?
--
Fajar

Frank Tarczynski

UbuntuNewbie
2015-02-25 13:53:43 UTC
Great news, this lua-stuff! Will check this out ASAP!

Thanks for the updated Howto